A 100-year plan to cultivate leaders with unconditional scholarship offer
International & Domestic Scholarship HOME
The late Chairman Chey Jong-hyon of SK Group established Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies (KFAS) in 1974 with the great ambition to “build a world class nation, world class citizens, and an industrial society founded on intellectual excellence”. KFAS is the first-ever Korean scholarship foundation established by a private company. Over the past 47 years, KFAS has pursed the late Chairman Chey’s 100-year mission to nurture internationally renowned scholars by supporting 4,000 leaders, including 800 scholars.
The Overseas PhD Scholarship Program is the oldest scholarship program in KFAS history. The program selects outstanding students in the fields of social sciences, natural sciences, and Computer science, and Electrical Engineering, providing financial and moral support and encouraging these students to become world class scholars who will open dialogues with the international academic community and who will serve as an engine for national development.
• Overseas PhD Scholarship Program: This scholarship program supports outstanding PhD students enrolled in world’s top universities with full tuition and living expenses.
• Training Program for Overseas PhD Scholarship: This is a prerequisite for Overseas PhD Scholarship program, offered to highly selective students who are applying for admission to the world’s top universities. Selected students are provided with tailor-made education, in preparation for overseas doctoral programs.
• PhD in China Scholarship Program: This program supports students who are applying to doctoral programs at China’s leading universities.
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS (1974 – 2020):
As of 2020
Since its establishment, KFAS has made great contributions to the academic development of Korea and the global community through its numerous scholarship programs. KFAS supports its scholarship recipients to focus on academic pursuit, so that they may become creative future leaders in the globalized world.
• Undergraduate Scholarship: This program selects outstanding undergraduate students with high academic aspirations and helps them immerse themselves in their studies, so that they can become world class scholars.
• Classical Chinese Studies Scholarship: This program selects undergraduate students in humanities and social sciences with an interest in East Asian Studies, to train them in Chinese classics and key literature for three years, ultimately cultivating them to become leading East Asian Studies experts.
• Classical Chinese & Advanced Chinese Language Scholarship: This program cultivates experts in East Asian Studies who can lead not only Korea and China but also the international academic field, by selecting talented students and providing them with intense training in Chinese classics and language.
• Graduate Student Scholarship: This program selects outstanding students in domestic graduate schools (Master’s and doctoral programs) to encourage them to become highly qualified professionals who will contribute to academic and industrial development.